Our Funeral Home History

scott 2.5x3
scott Meyersieck

Funeral service in the western communities of the Thumb began in the latter part of the 19th century with the furniture and undertaking establishment of William A. Schriber. Mr. Schriber maintained a high-quality line of furniture and also "undertook" the burial of the dead as a necessary and honorable service to the public.

An early photograph shows his first wood frame building, a primitive structure, located on the west side of S. Main Street. The second and more substantial building was located on the east side of the street on the present site of the Pigeon District Library.

Upon Mr. Schriber's untimely death in 1926 at the age of 52, his son-in-law Loren (Leatha Schriber) Bates continued the business in the "Schriber Block," which had been erected in 1900 on the corner of S. Main and Nitz Streets. The building is still in use today as Haist Flowers. In 1927, Joseph O. (Emma) Shetler began his work in funeral service under the leadership of Mr. Bates. In 1930, Herman (Elsie) Winkel purchased the Bates establishment and retained Mr. Shetler in the furniture and undertaking business. Once again, the business was relocated, this time to the current location of Thumb National Bank & Trust Company.

During these early years, most visitations or wakes were held in the home of the deceased, while the actual exchange of furniture and funeral goods was conducted from the business site. Upon Herman Winkel's retirement, Joe and Emma Shetler purchased the entire business in 1945 and changed the name to J.O. Shetler, Furniture and Funeral Director. They conducted their business in yet another location near the current bank location, in what is now the Pigeon Chiropractic Life Center. In 1950 they abandoned the furniture business and purchased from Ray and Bernadine Winkel the present facility on Paul Street, conducting visitations from the living room of the Shetler's home. (As a side note, Raymond and Bernadine Winkel relocated to Otsego, Michigan where the Winkel Funeral Home is owned and operated by James D. Winkel, grandson of the late Herman and Elsie Winkel.)

In 1953, Mr. Shetler had erected what is now known as the funeral chapel (on the west side of the present Meyersieck Home), where all aspects of the funeral business could be properly conducted.

On September 1, 1969, Joe and Emma Shetler sold their funeral business to Elmer and Joyce Bussema, who changed the name to Shetler-Bussema Funeral Home. The facility was enlarged with the addition of a casket display room, flower room and double garage. Mr. Shetler remained active in the business until his very sudden death on July 17, 1973 at the age of 68 while assisting with a death call removal in a fishing channel near Bay Port.

In 1979, scott Meyersieck began working for the Bussemas. In January 1990 the business was sold to scott and Susan Meyersieck, and the firm then became Meyersieck-Bussema Funeral Home. in 1993, a building program was completed which included a conference office, barrier-free restrooms and a quiet family area. To this date, the Meyersieck-Bussema Funeral Home continues the excellent standard of funeral service begun in the latter days of the 19th century at the hand of William A. Schriber.

It is still our motto to provide personal thoughtful service as we endeavor to serve and comfort families at their time of need.

We are proud and honored to have been entrusted with this most necessary service to the western communities of the Thumb of Michigan.